What is Opengeofiction and how can I participate?
Opengeofiction is a collaborative platform for the creation of fictional maps.
Opengeofiction is based on the Openstreetmap software platform. This implies that all map editors and other tools suitable for Openstreetmap can be applied to Opengeofiction as well.
The fictional world of Opengeofiction is thought to be in modern times. So it doesn't have orcs or elves, but rather power plants, motorways and housing projects. But also picturesque old towns, beautiful national parks and lonely beaches.
There are several alternatives for participation:
(1) Choose a free area (green) from the overview map at the bottom of this page. You'll then become the "owner" of that area and are solely responsible for its design and implementation. However, you are expected to cooperate with your fellow mappers/artists in preserving the overall consistency of large-scale geographic features that might extend the boundaries of your own area. Especially, you should work closely together with the owners of adjacent areas when designing border regions. It's also possible to take over two areas or maybe only a part of one; just talk to us and we'll see what we can arrange. Local modifications to the coastline might also be feasible, but should always be communicated first.
(2) Our world also has still room for additional continents. So it might be possible to design a completely new continent. However, since the available space remains ultimately limited, we will accept a proposal for a new continent only if we really, really, REALLY like it. So your continent will probably more likely be rejected than not. Please don't take it personally.
(3) You want to collaborate on an already existing country? Then please contact its owner via the "send message" link on the user's profile page http://opengeofiction.net/user/USERNAME. Please note, hovewer, that ultimately the country owner has the exclusive decision-making authority over his area and that we will resolve any occuring disputes in favor of the country owner.
(4) Make your edits in the continent "Archantica" in the south-east (marked blue at the overview map). That region is free for editing by any user. On this continent it is e.g. perfectly fine to work on cities started by other users, even if the city's characteristics are changed thereby. Please note however, that acts of vandalism are still forbidden.
Once you have chosen one of these alternatives, create a new user account at http://opengeofiction.net/user/new. Unlike with Openstreetmap, you will not receive an automatic confirmation email. Rather, the activation of your account will be carried out manually. For this purpose, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you choose (1), tell us about which area you want to take (and maybe how you'd like to modify it) and give a brief outline of your ideas and plans for the design of your country.
Terms & Conditions
By participating in Opengeofiction you agree to release your contributions under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License (CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0). Of course you are free to choose a more permissive CC license as well.
We won't take any responsibility for the backup of the data created by your edits. Snapshots of the data set are created at regular intervals and can be downloaded from http://opengeofiction.net:3500/backup. Please do this frequently!
We reserve the right to revert your edits and, in extreme cases, to terminate your account, if you
- commit an act of vandalism. As such we'll consider any edits in areas of a different owner without prior consultation.
- misuse Opengeofiction to display political, religious, obscene or personally insulting messages of any kind. This would also apply to e.g. naming a street after a certain german dictator. Of course it's OK to devise your country as a totalitarian dictatorship or a fanatical theocracy, but please invent the underlying ideology yourself.
- violate the copyright of a third party.
- don't make any edits over a prolonged period of time and we have to assume your interest in participation has waned. Of course in this case we'll try to contact you first.
Opengeofiction is an experiment, of which we don't know if it will work in the long run.
We believe that the most important factor for success of this project will be the readiness of all participants for cooperation wherever that's necessary.
Also, keep in mind that we still regard Opengeofiction as a private homepage rather than a public service. Which means that ultimately we (the admin team) will have the final say about everything. But we really hope to never have to use that power.
Key to map symbols
area owned by Opengeofiction member
"Archantica" (free for editing by any user)