I got a lot of good feedback from my original diary entry, after which I started a new version of my topo map. It's almost complete, and has turned out better than I expected, but not as good as hoped. I think I've corrected the worst of the problems that were pointed out. After several months of working on the project, it's become a bit of a chore, so other than some minor corrections, I've settled on this one as the final version.
I've been using a version that also includes an overlay with calculated likely waterway locations, as a background in JOSM. I'm hoping this will improve my mapping--once I get everything reorganized. I expect that will take a while, since I have many cities, towns and roads in places where they should no longer be.
Here is a screen grab of the topo map in JOSM showing what I'll be fixing. Larger version here.
It's currently a big mess. After fixing the map, it's on to the Wiki problems...
Wish me luck!