Recent diary entries
Zooming in on parts of Rhododactylia (15-17 zooms) I'm noticing the background is filled with water in places where it shouldn't be. I'm going to try to find and fix unless someone beats me to it.
ETA: Fixed a couple of reversed coastlines, this may or may not fix the issue.
Ran the JOSM validator over this section of map:
And got 13 errors related multipolygons, affecting these items:
relation 74797 relation 74796 relation 74799 relation 74798 relation 74801 relation 74800 relation 74672 way 8175720 way 8175721 way 8175722 way 8175717 way 8175718 way 8175719
And I have no clue how to begin fixing them. If someone could clean this up into something resembling sensible data, it would be appreciated.
I went to download the August 16th backup, and much to my surprise, got a 134-byte PBF file (effectively empty). The August 15th backup looks okay. Hopefully, this will be fixed in time for tomorrow's backup run...
I'm at a loss as to what got messed up this time. Can someone look into it?
It looks like someone flooded Archanta again. Older tiles show land, but newer ones show water on top of everything.
First, it was and is reassuring to see others mapping in Rhododactylia. This area, if kept, needs a lot of work to be made into a realistic area (though I will concede at points in the past, so did parts of Frogtown and other cities I've added details to).
First off, the sheer quantity of mountain peaks that close together strike me as unrealistic. Also, there's a building (the "food factory" I think?) that's 4 km² in area--that's not a typo!--surrounding one that's just shy of 92 hectares--again, not a typo!
Just west of that, the train station building is over 2 hectares, which I think is way too big barring a real-life example that's anywhere close. Same with the "National Star and Space Center" buildings, three buildings with a combined area of over 11 hectares--again, not a typo!
The residential streets need to be named as well; I see a huge sea of red when I turn on "Colored Streets" to check addressing, but this is a relatively easy fix by comparison. There's also overlapping landuse=meadow that overlaps areas that cannot be meadow by definition. I've gotten rid of some already.
Thoughts or ideas?
A new town Nahoniakburg is being built on the site of what used to be Natesville in Rhododactylia (which appears to have disappeared in a cloud of white smoke). I have rebuilt a couple of roads and added a new town POI node. Rather than do the rebuilding myself, I'd like to see two or three people collaborate to build it. Remember, don't use real world trademarks/company names. If you don't know what to name something, fill in the other tags (add a cuisine for fast food/restaurants) and let me know what needs naming.
- Scarborough's is our replacement for S*bks (amenity=cafe, cusine=coffee_shop).
- All-n-One is our replacement for W*-Mt or T***t.
- Fast food: Quick Chicken, Dextraze's Pizza & More (the latter more or less our replacement for D***o's; both QC and Dex's are owned by the same company in our world, I frequently put both next door but you don't have to), Captain Burrito (replaces To Bl but I guess could replace Qa or Che too), Plympton's Burgers (Mcd's replacement), AwesomeBurger (intended as a Wh**er replacement), Sally's Sandwiches, Witchell's 'Witches (both rough replacements for Sy), Central Coast Fried Chicken (our semi-replacement for K*****y Fried Chicken), Riptide Seafood.
- Convenience store brands: 24 Mart (for 24 hour locations only), Zippy Mart, Kangaroo jack's. Don't be afraid of using a one-off with a random name or a nearby street name especially for c-stores, a lot of them are independents in the real world as well.
While judging by file sizes alone, the July 15 backup is big enough to be considered good, be careful, especially before deleting any untagged nodes/ways willy-nilly. I found at least four (recent) nodes that exported without tags in Rhododactylia alone; there are probably others elsewhere.
So I've noticed mappers in Rhododactylia have been using real world store/company names as opposed to fictitious equivalents. The rules don't clearly address this, and maybe they should. My rationale in favor of fictitious store/company names has two main points:
- Legal (trademark) issues. Walmart (for example) has to protect their trademark from all sources of possible infringement. Yes, it would be a real jerk move for them to bother a hobbyist project such as OpenGeoFiction, but the trademark lawyers do not see it that way.
- Creativity. I am fine with having a conglomerate, national/multinational retailer with a presence in many countries. However, the very least we can do is call it something that doesn't exist in the real world. Re-using real world company names is, at least to me, incredibly bland. I can see there being the occasional overlap between, say, city names in the real world and OGF, but there are myriad other names to select for stores/companies.
I noticed that daily backups are not showing for the 23rd, 24th, and now the 25th. The last backup is from February 22nd. Has there been an unannounced but planned discontinuation of daily backups?
What exactly is this? http://opengeofiction.net/#map=10/-15.0814/176.9870
The relation doesn't have an ID; it looks like a user just made some islands in the middle of the ocean and started mapping without consulting with anyone.
Worse, the world overview map at http://opengeofiction.net/wiki/index.php/OGF:Territories shows it as a blue territory and thinks it is as part of Rhododactylia, which it clearly is not. It doesn't show up in http://opengeofiction.net/wiki/index.php/OGF:Territories_List either.
I was browsing OGF:Coastline_Maintenance earlier this morning and in the process found that relation 10071, for the Uletha coastline, had been deleted some two months prior. Has it been superseded by a newer relation (which I can't find, if there is one)? If not, how to go about restoring it?
Here are the names I'm considering so far:
- Easterland (it is on the east part of Archanta)
- The Sand Republic (since the beaches seem to be the most prevalent feature so far)
- Pinkland (in the vein of Greenland, Iceland, etc in the real world... no real basis for it, and a bit off-the-wall)
Any other ideas? Are these all usable names? Do they all stink?
Okay, so it looks like now AR901 really is coming along. We do need to name it though.
I've given thought to completely re-doing the highway numbering, since it never was consistent to begin with. I'd like to replace the current "M" numbers with a prefix for "interprefecture" such as "I" or maybe "IP" or even "IM". The non-freeway/motorway roads which connect between prefectures could get a different prefix (to be decided), with the roads running entirely within one prefecture ("state") given a prefix specific to that prefecture.
I'm starting to run out of good prefecture and city names. I'm going for non-English/Ingerish where I can think of something good (Ville des Lapins being the first example so far, maybe second if you're willing to count Poltergeist Point as being at least German-influenced). Quite a few other mappers are still English-/Ingerish-heavy on the naming, though.
I am good at mapping, not so good at coming up with history. I've done a lot for someone who had originally planned to just stick to Frogtown and the immediate area...
What is the status of backups? The last several days worth are zero byte files ending in ".EXPORT_FAILED" leaving he most recent usable backup from April 1. I have meticulously kept all the backups I have downloaded if they are needed to have something more recent.
Over the past couple of months I've made what I would like to think are some substantial improvements to AR901. I started with a coastal town named Frogtown (which I'm about to write up the history of once I get wiki access), and have cleaned up the roads made by other prior mappers to improve either connectivity or the plausibility of the road layouts as the case may be.
I've also added some prefecture boundaries in the parts where cities already exist. I ran out of names though, so I could use some help here as well.
Also, for all of this, I still can't think of a good name for the country to save my life. Since this is a community territory, I'm asking if anyone has any good ideas.