Recent diary entries
If you follow /r/citiesskylines on reddit you may know about a small application coming out lately, called NetworX. It's an app allowing you to make public transport diagrams! It's still an early versions but as far as i know it will be updated (it already was at least once today, and the programme came out out yesterday). When you install it it comes with an example map of Munich (München). I find it very helpful, it's definetely better than drawing stuff in MS Paint ;) . It is free so check it out! Link to the software's webpage and it's subreddit is down below.
Greetings and have fun!
I've given myself a little break from mapping, however in the meantime I have started working on a Polandball-styled map of OGF. If you don't know, Polandball is an amatour, community-made style of comics starring the world's countries. They often talk about current political happenings in a wacky fashion. Countries are represented mostly by (guess what?) balls (there are exceptions). Do you want to see the whole OGF world like that? Currently I've got the most of western Uletha:
Get your jackets and umbrellas because Uletha is flooded!
It's been nearly a year since I joined OGF. I've made (I think) a huge progress - from overscaled town somewhere in Gobrassanya, thru Antharia, which I wasn't really happy with to Shilesia, to which i moved after dropping Antharia (currently the country is owned by stjur who's doing a great job, keep it up!). And after at least 5 redevelopments of my country I am satisfied with how it looks. Now, what are my plans for future:
- Expanding Ligota so it doesn't look like it was cut in half, BUT not making it the biggest city in the world (it might happen, as i live in the biggest metropolitan area of my country, AND I love big cities), I will try to keep it maybe on 500k citizens maybe.
- Adding some mountains and rivers to the country - don't have any particular concept yet, but we'll get to that.
- Expanding wiki coverage - that means: writing more about companies in Shilesia, maybe an international organisation with headquarters in Ligota (I think i've got an idea for that). Besides that, I want also to focus on history, so it will make sense AND will be compatibile with the history of other nations in the region.
- More involvment in Midistland, recently I've been doing something here, but I think that the country needs more details and good mapping (by this I mean "not newbie-messups").
- The biggest Shilesia-related project is currently the Shilesian railway company, I plan on making a few long-distance international connections (I plan for it to be the competition for flights from Ligota-Alfred Airport). I also want to make at least one short article for every station in Shilesia (a bit like it's done on Polish Wikipedia, where every station, even the least important one in some eastern-polish village is covered) with a basic timetable (company, stations, frequency, rolling-stock).
If I somehow manage to finish Shilesia in this year (VERY unlikely) I'm planning to make a north-western Ulethan country with conlang (on which I'm currently working on) - the working name for the country is Vaaskia.
At the end of this unnecesarily long diary entry, I'd like to wish everyone a happy new year 2017!
Hi! Even through recently I've been doing some stuff in Midistland, I'm also working on my own country. Ligota is suppposed to be the capital of Shilesia, I want the city to be the OGF equivalent of Katowice (with some slight modifications - instead of mining and industry there will be trade and maybe some tourism thanks to the Hetzer Lake. And the city will be bigger). Even through it's still very early to ask for feedback I'd like to ask now and later have less problems with the city. Particularily, I want to know your opinion on:
- Multilingual mapping - I've added name:de and name:en tags, so on different computer settings it should render in Ingerish and Welsish (aka Gaerman, Kalmish and however do you want to call German here). Is that a good solution or should I abandon it?
- Building style - there aren't very much of these in the city right now, but these that are there aren't aligned with anything. Is this style of mapping buildings okay? If no, is there an option in JOSM allowing to draw perfectly straight and even buildings in better tempo than 1 building/hour.
- The road layouts - I'm actually quite happy with how it looks, but I'm looking forward to see your feedback.
Things that need to be done right now, are: a small overhaul of railways - the tracks are too far apart from each other, more buildings, more names, names that are here need to be checked if they are Silesian or just broken Silesian and of course names in forgein languages which may be wrong (I'm not the language guru :D ). Greetings
Hi! There are some problems with the standard layer of the map - it took a lot of time to render changes on zoom 13 and still hasn't finished on zoom 14 - on zoom 15 it's okay again. The edits were significant (adding a lot of roads and landuse) and made quite some time ago (at least a day, I couldn't remember). What's the problem?
Hi! I've done an airport. I have never been on one (and hopefully i won't need to), so I'd like to ask you is it okay. I know it is really basic and propably lacks some major feature, but hopefully with your advice I can do better. What do you think? By the way, the airport is open to flights up to 800km, so if you want to fly here - message me. And one more question - i've used Key:name:de and Key:name:en here, does it display correctly on your computer's language settings?
On OpenStreetMap Wiki there is that article (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names) about usage of Key:name:language-code when adding names for pepole who want to render the map in different languages. Does it make sense to use it in OGF? If yes, are we supposed to use language codes for real-life languages or we can use the OGF ones (for example :in (as in Ingerish) instead of :en)?
Hi! I've been working recently on countryside surrounding the city of Laski. I'd like to see your opinion on what I've done there, even if it's still not ready (got nearly half of the area, Jeżyki and Laski don't have all of their roads still). Is it alright? After i finish putting all the borders, roads and terrain stuff (forests/fields/grasslands) I'm planning to get some details into these cities, at the moment only marked buildings are a church in Graniczki, and in Laski some 80's/90's-style blocks of flats and market of the (made-up) "Brutto" brand (a small reference to real world French market brand "Netto"). What is your opinion? I'm looking forward to change some things if i made them wrong.
Well, i did something wrong and name of Quartia (aka Kwartia) region of Antharia isn't showing on the map. I put a name tag in it, as in all other tags. What's wrong with it? Any ideas? btw. doing these divisions was scary, i throught that i'll break all country borders in the area. But it turned out well :D .
Well, i have claimed the country (and admin accepted it). What do i have to do now? Do i need to make a region covering all of the country? Because i see that my neighboor did it. Also, i think i have to change name of my country. How to do this? I can't find point which may display the name "UL033c", so i can't change it. That's all for now. Sorry for bad English ;) .
Well, hi! I did this thing in open teritorry and (i put nearby city for comparition) completely broke the scale. Do i need to remove it? Because i kinda like how it looks, also it's my first city. And other question - i know that I need a few more days to claim a country but i'm asking anyway: are "ER" "KA" "OR" and "PE" continents still in construction? If they aren't, anyone knows when will they be allowed for building?
Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.