Recent diary entries
I've taken the difficult decision to redesign the entire territory of Tavauru. This decision has been made as the quality of my mapping has increased, and it has become increasingly difficult to work with the relief and topology of the island.
I previously gave the physical landscape a lot less consideration, but now as my mapping moves away from the lowland areas it has become increasingly difficult to create a realistic landscape that I am happy with.
The island will still retain its shape for the most part, but the landscape is set to resemble something more like Reunion or Tahiti. In my current plans for Tavauru 2.0, Faiai'ita and Raiangua will remain in their place but will be completely overhauled to fit the new geography of the island. The culture and language of Tavauru will remain the same, and once the new version takes shape many specific features will be returning.
My current focus in mapping is Tavauru’s capital, Faiai’ita here: https://opengeofiction.net/#map=14/10.4808/86.5392
Tavauru is loosely based on island nations in the Caribbean, Reunion, Mauritius, Tahiti, Fiji etc.
I would love some feedback on my mapping and how realistic Faiai’ita is compared to those places. Faiai’ita is still a work in progress so I do appreciate what you have to say.
Faiai’ita is my best attempt at urban mapping so far (I’m not too happy with my first attempt at a city (Raiangua) which is less detailed).
I'm starting to develop the main port facilities for my country that will deal with international cargo and I'm wondering whether to add shipping routes to other countries.
As I'm sure you're aware, OGF has an abundance of shipping/ferry routes (way more than OSM does). Are the lines between countries supposed to be for passenger ferries, like in OSM, or for both passenger and cargo? Because if they are exclusively passenger then I'm not sure why there are so many intercontinental ferry routes. My country is a small island nation so it would not have many long ferry routes, especially seeing as there is an airport instead.
I started mapping about a few days ago and have made some progress at making a village in central Commonia, using ID at first and now JOSM, but I'm having some trouble using it. It would also be helpful to have to critique on my settlement.
Things I would like help with:
- creating areas such as parks and car parks, that are available in the areas tab in ID
- creating rail tracks
- airport features such as runways etc. (dont worry I'm not building an airport for my tiny town)
- naming places: mainly town names but also for having buildings be hotels etc.
- different road types: I'm aware of the residential road, but in a lot of other cities on the map I see large residential roads?
- creating coloured ares of the map, like in cities where the area between blocks is grey
- having buildings sit next to and against each other, without overlapping and causing an error
- creating perfect circles for roundabouts etc
- going into detail on buildings (like that really cool cathedral in Baradin)
I understand this is a lot (and theres probably more i still have to ask) but any help would greatly be appreciated.